Snr SQL DBA
Senior SQL DBA required with a broad DBA competence and skill, to take responsibility for monitoring, maintenance, and operational support of a portfolio of databases – 70 instances and more. SQL server certification with 5+ years’ experience as a DBA with Transact SQL, DTS, SSIS package development. This is a Contract role!
- Must be able to work with other DBAs (operations), IT teams and clients to ensure that Microsoft SQL Server (MSSQL) database maintenance tasks are performed in a highly visible, mission critical environment including, but not limited to the following:
- Monitor performance of database systems resources and query throughput
- Optimize SQL Code as necessary
- Monitor and maintain database storage resources, maintenance plans for backups, index rebuild/defragment, building of scheduled jobs, clearing locks, and database statistics
- SQL Server Installation, Upgrades, Migrations and Configuration
- Install database software service packs and cumulative updates as necessary
- Maintain database documentation as required
- Maintain and administer database security access
- Perform database Ad-hoc backups and restores
- Trouble shoot and resolve database connectivity issues
- Follow Change Management processes to implement database configuration changes
- Follow Problem Management processes to troubleshoot and resolve recurring issues
- Proactively monitor and respond to MSSQL database Alerts.
- On-call requirements to ensure 24 x 7 support of database operations
- Able to lead a team of junior and intermediate DBAs
- End-to-end knowledge of MS SQL server database technologies including MS SQL Clusters and Failover Cluster Instances (FCI)
- Experience with deploying and maintaining Enterprise Level SQL Server Farms and Failover Cluster Instances (FCI)
- Evaluate, implement, and maintain Microsoft technology, security updates, hot fixes, upgrades, and version releases to ensure architecture stability
- Configure and manage SQL Server 2008/2012/2014/2016/2017/2019 and perhaps even Azure, demonstrating how these technologies may be leveraged to impact the architecture’s overall design, security, availability, and stability
- Solution development and integration of value-add applications to meet new requirements.
- Provide troubleshooting of database instances and OS level support in a SQL Server environment leveraging a wide array of configurations, including local and multi-site failover clustering
- Demonstrate ability to analyse resource bottlenecks and provide suggestions to team, management, and customers on how to alleviate pressure and plan for capacity
- Provide recommendations and strategies to application owners on how to improve performance and scalability of their database components
- Install, upgrade, and administer SQL Server database engine, Integration Services (SSIS), Reporting Services (SSRS), and Analysis Services (SSAS)
- Provide architectural guidance on strategies to improve operations and monitoring of current and future implementations
- Ability to implement physical designs from logical designs
- Prepare technical documentation
- Spontaneously move between Operations and Projects as the requirements dictate
- Be able to consult, and prepare proposals based on gathered requirements
- Strong presentation skills and confident/comfortable engaging with customers
- Strong problem-solving skills, detail orientated, quick to recognise issues and recommend timely solutions
- Independent worker and team-player
- Solid experience in SQL Server merge, peer to peer and/or transactional replication
- MCSA: SQL server certification
- MCSE: SQL server certification
- 5+ years’ experience as a DBA in SQL Server environment
- 4+ years’ experience in Transact SQL, DTS, SSIS package development
- 3+ years of SQL Server database development / programming
- Experience and end-to-end knowledge of MS SQL server database technologies including MS SQL Clusters and Failover Cluster Instances (FCI) and of administering SQL Server 2000, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2016 and 2017 databases
- Experience with Monitoring & Diagnostic tools
- Knowledge of ITIL Service Management processes, preferably certified.
- Participation and completion of Leadership Development Programmes an advantage.
- Experience working with Windows server, including Active Directory and disk configurations
- B.Tech, B.Com or B.Sc. Computer Science or Information Systems, or B.Eng. or equivalent combination of education and experience an advantage.
- Azure and Opensource experience/exposure will be an advantage
- Must be willing to perform standby and after-hours work
The company offers very competitive rates.
Only apply if you have the relevant experience!
If you have what is required, then please apply with your comprehensive CV and a skills matrix.
Snr SQL DBA